Sunday, November 4, 2012

Updated Version of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 90's

OK, if you read my site (most likely you don't, but let's pretend, for my sake), you know that I am a movie dude. Hell, my site's called Stephen the Critic. So, you are probably wondering what's up with this post. Well, while I do love movies, I, also, love music. One of the other occupations I wanna be is a singer. I am doing this post because opportunity knocked for me to do this and I gladly open the door.

Here's the story. A while back, on a website called Stereogum (VH1 has this list as well), I saw the full list of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 90's. I have them all on my hard drive because I wanted to be immersed in all of holy Nineties-ness. The 90s, in terms of music, were pretty much a more competent version of the 80s, not to say I don't love the 80s. The 80s was more revolved around rock, pop, rock-pop, and pop-rock. The 90s were more revolved around hip-hop, alternative rock, hard rock, and pop that became more bubblegum and marketed to a younger fanbase, particularly teenage girls. The 80s and 90s, both, had some awesome songs and some songs that were awesome, in a laughable, guilty pleasure yet catchy way.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. Last night, I decided, for the hell of it, to watch the actually television special of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 90s. It was fun to watch...except for one thing. I was watching the special and some of the spots had different songs that what I read on the original online list. I guess that's the Internet for you.

Now, to the credit, I heard that some of the songs were recently added, but, anyways, the 97, 78, 51, 32, 13, and 10 spots had different songs from the previous Greatest Songs of the 90s list I read from VH1. So, I decided to check to see if anyone revised the list online or made a new list with those spots. Needless to say, my results came up barren.

So, I decided to give my fellow readers an unprecedented opportunity: to give you the list, as it was presented on VH1. I could just name the changes of the list, but, let's be honest, you have probably already read the list or never read the list, at all. So, just for heaven's sake, I'll just give you the full list and let you, the readers, pick around the changes I mentioned earlier. So, here it is, starting at #1 and working our way down (I know some of you want it reversed, but I'm too lazy to reverse it):

01 Nirvana – “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
02 U2 – “One”
03 Backstreet Boys – “I Want It That Way”
04 Whitney Houston – “I Will Always Love You”
05 Madonna – “Vogue”
06 Sir Mix-A-Lot – “Baby Got Back”
07 Britney Spears – “…Baby One More Time”
08 TLC – “Waterfalls”
09 R.E.M. – “Losing My Religion”
10 Chumbawamba – “Tubthumping”
11 Pearl Jam – “Jeremy”
12 Alanis Morissette – “You Oughta Know”
13 Divinyls – “I Touch Myself”
14 Mariah Carey – “Vision of Love”
15 Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Under the Bridge”
16 MC Hammer – “U Can’t Touch This”
17 Destiny’s Child – “Say My Name”
18 Metallica – “Enter Sandman”
19 Beastie Boys – “Sabotage”
20 Hanson – “MMMBop”
21 Celine Dion – “My Heart Will Go On”
22 Beck – “Loser”
23 Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue – “Whatta Man”
24 House of Pain – “Jump Around”
25 Soundgarden – “Black Hole Sun”
26 Eminem – “My Name Is”
27 Counting Crows – “Mr. Jones”
28 Ricky Martin – “Livin’ la Vida Loca”
29 Vanilla Ice – “Ice Ice Baby”
30 *NSYNC – “Tearin’ Up My Heart”
31 Radiohead – “Creep”
32 The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – “The Impression That I Get”
33 Spice Girls – “Wannabe”
34 Third Eye Blind – “Semi-Charmed Life”
35 Oasis – “Wonderwall”
36 C+C Music Factory – “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)”
37 Green Day – “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)”
38 Christina Aguilera – “Genie In A Bottle”
39 Goo Goo Dolls – “Iris”
40 Color Me Badd – “I Wanna Sex You Up”
41 Spin Doctors – “Two Princes”
42 Collective Soul – “Shine”
43 En Vogue – “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)”
44 The Fugees – “Killing Me Softly With His Song”
45 Hootie & the Blowfish – “Only Wanna Be With You”
46 Shania Twain – “You’re Still the One”
47 Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch – “Good Vibrations”
48 Matchbox Twenty – “3 AM”
49 Jewel – “Who Will Save Your Soul”
50 Alice in Chains – “Man in the Box”
51 Craig Mack – “Flava In Ya Ear”
52 Sugar Ray – “Fly”
53 Naughty by Nature – “O.P.P.”
54 Joan Osborne – “One of Us”
55 Fiona Apple – “Criminal”
56 L.L. Cool J – “Mama Said Knock You Out”
57 Jay-Z featuring Amil and Ja Rule – “Can I Get A…”
58 Sophie B. Hawkins – “Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover”
59 Weezer – “Buddy Holly”
60 Bell Biv DeVoe – “Poison”
61 Sheryl Crow – “All I Wanna Do”
62 Live – “I Alone”
63 The Notorious B.I.G. (Feat. Mase & Puff Daddy) – “Mo Money Mo Problems”
64 The Presidents of the United States of America – “Peaches”
65 Digital Underground – “The Humpty Dance”
66 Edwin McCain – “I’ll Be”
67 Deee-Lite – “Groove Is In The Heart”
68 Will Smith – “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It”
69 Korn – “Freak on a Leash”
70 Jamiroquai – “Virtual Insanity”
71 Arrested Development – “Tennessee”
72 Barenaked Ladies – “One Week”
73 Marcy Playground – “Sex and Candy”
74 Cher – “Believe”
75 Kris Kross – “Jump”
76 Blues Traveler – “Run-Around”
77 Ice Cube – “It Was a Good Day”
78 Semisonic – “Closing Time”
79 Meredith Brooks – “Bitch”
80 Right Said Fred – “I’m Too Sexy”
81 Paula Cole – “I Don’t Want to Wait”
82 Geto Boys – “Mind Playing Tricks on Me”
83 The Breeders – “Cannonball”
84 Snow – “Informer”
85 Cypress Hill – “Insane In The Brain”
86 The Cranberries – “Linger”
87 Billy Ray Cyrus – “Achy Breaky Heart”
88 Duncan Sheik – “Barely Breathing”
89 Liz Phair – “Never Said”
90 New Radicals – “You Get What You Give”
91 Sarah McLachlan – “Building a Mystery”
92 Public Enemy – “911 Is A Joke”
93 Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories – “Stay”
94 Fastball – “The Way”
95 Montell Jordan – “This is How We Do It”
96 Nelson – “(Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection”
97 Los Del Rio – “Macarena”
98 EMF – “Unbelievable”
99 Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott – “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)”
100 Gerardo – “Rico Suave”

Wow, those were some pretty awesome choices, don't you think. I'm sure you all are wondering if there's anything I'd replace. Well, I haven't given it much thought. All the songs on there I like and I haven't thought about what my favorite songs of the 90s is. However, I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the picks. Before you come to murder me, this is not my list, it's VH1's! So, I'd like to hear if you would add or take away anything from this list and if you agree with the #1 pick or if there's another song you favor as the best of the 90s. Also, which list do you think is better? The original or the updated version? So, go ahead. Voice your opinion. I'm an open book. Later!

P.S. If you wanna see the original list and compare the changes, go to this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment